Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious, getting ready to make my first splits. how do most of you feed your nucs. my hives, i feed inside a super. but my nucs have a migratory lid with no inner cover. i've never done this before, just looking for simple, but productive ways to manage nucs. thanks

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I use a miller style, hive top feeder. There are plans on the Bee Source site, than can be easily adjusted to nucs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just use mason jar feeders. You can search the site for alot of info on these. Basically the way I do it is put 10-15 holes,small in lid of mason jar. I use a staple gun and then pull the staples out. The lid and ring is then set into top cover by either drilling with a hole saw or using a jigsaw and cutting the perfect size hole,after you traced the lid. Hope Im not making this more confusing than it is. Then take your cover off with lid and ring in it,screw jar on and then flip it back on the nuc. A little will drip but then the vacuum of the jar will stop it. The girls love it and without opening the hive you can see what you got. I like it better than and entrance feeder because the robbing factor goes down since you are in the top middle of the nuc. Hope this make some sense.
Peace Dave

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
the easy way to get a hole in your lits is to buy a 2 3/4" holesaw drill bit with piliot bit-- start on one side drill about 1/4 of the way through then flip and drill the other side - this provents the tairouts and makes a clean cut

this fits the small mouth jars - but you can use wide mouth jars - but pick one that way everything is the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts