Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I just installed a new package and of course am feeding them. I know they may not take the sugar water since the flow is on. How long will that sugar water last before it should begin to ferment( I did put HBH in it). I gave each hive a gallon and not sure if they will take it quick enough before it spoils. I know of someone who had sugar water that fermented and the bees died. I guess I would be able to smell the fermentation? Let me know your thoughts. I hate to throw it out if it is still good but don't want to keep it on if spoiled. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The HBH is going to keep the syrup from fermenting any time soon. It is ok to use it, but most beeks that do make sure they are using it on all their hives at the same time and using some form of hive top feeders where the syrup is being fed internally and is not open to the outside at all. This keeps the robbing down.

shannonswyatt - love the idea of bee crack!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Without HBH, my sugar water seems to go off in about 5 to 7 days during the 90 degree, 90% humidity months. I can tell when it is off because it smells funny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts