Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. I installed a package on 4/2, and the bees seem to be doing great. I have been feeding the 1/1 syrup since the install, but the last week and a half, the bees have stopped taking the syrup water. At first, I thought the syrup may have firmented, but that is not the case. I changed the feeder out with some new syrup, and they still are not feeding. Should they be?

I took this to be a good sign. I inspected last week, and everything looks great. A lot of eggs and larva with a great brood pattern and lots of stored pollen and honey.

I just wanted to make sure this is normal, and everything is fine.

brad

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
When the nectar flow starts the bees ignore sugar syrup and forage for the nectar. If they have not drawn out all the foundations, be sure to move any undrawn foundations toward the middle of the box. Often they make a mess of the outside comb, or fail to draw the outside combs all of the way out if the flow tapers off. If they stop producing wax at the end of the flow, it takes a lot of sugar to get them started again to finish the combs.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Some of mine have quit also.Usually I've seen them slow down most of the time.Some don't think they'll quit taking syrup but I've seen it on occasion.I whole heartly agree with AR Beekeeper that's been my experience.I contribute them quitting or slowing down to the nectar flow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts