Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 hive that needs to draw out more foundation, but the flow seems to slowing down here. Would feeding a megabee patty and 1 to 1 syrup help or bad idea this time of year. I have heard shb like pattys any other problems? Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you want to use patties, I'd suggest only adding small amounts at short intervals, rather than larger amounts that are allowed to remain in the hive over time. Keep an eye on the rate at which the small amounts are being consumed, and adjust accordingly. This should reduce the likelihood of the patties serving as a nursery for SHB.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Although Magabee helps ramp up the hive in early spring, it is really not necessary for wax production. With the flow ending the bees will consume honey to make wax. However if they have no excess stores coming in then they do not feel the need to. The trick is to make them think there is a flow on and they need to make room for the excess. feeding 1x1 syrup creates a large volume that needs to be processed and thus encourages the bees to make additional comb in available space.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
If you do feed megabee during SHB season you will have fewer problems with them if you mix it with syrup as per their website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts