Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this help prevent getting so many bees in the air and creating robbing? I've got internal feeders on some and outside feeders on others but right now even the hives getting feed internally have bees flying around the extra hive body on top That covers the feeder. By morning I'm sure the feeders would be empty and less likely.to attract bees. My weaker hives all have rescuers on them depending on the size and strength of the hive.

Clark

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Clark - I feed ONLY in the late evenings just prior to dark. I go out and get everything ready ahead of time to minimize time the feed bucket is open, as i use Hive top feeders on all of my hives. I ONLY give them what I know for sure they can suck down in a night into the hive. Basically I give them a quart each feeding. Right now i'm ONLY feeding the NUC's in my yard as the big hives have plenty of stores. So far i've not had any robbing that i've seen and i'm out there on a daily basis. So to answer the question... YES it does help prevent robbing, but only if the bees can suck it down over night. If it is still in the open during the day, you will have robbing..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Not only evenings; 100% chance of rain all day tomorrow (so they say anyway) so I put feeders on my hives tonight so they'll have something to do tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts