Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a colony at the back of my garden (UK).
I will be away from the country end of November to early January (6 - 7 weeks).
I have 1 super full of nectar.
Is it ok keep the super full of honey throughout the winter for the bees instead of feeding?
I will not be able to feed them from end November to early January (around 6-7weeks) as I will not be in the country.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,282 Posts
i normally do not open my hives from mid Oct to mid Feb, so IMO that would work.
make sure the excluder is not inbetween the bees and the honey.

GG

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
555 Posts
I second, GG I can see no reason it wouldn’t work, so long as the bees are left with plenty of stores for winter. Of course I have zero idea about winters in the UK.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
In nature there is no space between the combs in the up and down direction. In beekeeping with langstroth style hives there is space in the combs. In order to promote bees crossing that space to access honey above, I like to keep one drawn but empty comb in the center of the super. This gives the bees cluster space to move up into the super as they devour the honey stored there. Clustering involves having heater bees head first in the cells, to heat the comb as well as the clustering bees, so a drawn but mostly empty comb helps them move up.

Yes, a super of honey will do them great, even better than feeding if they can move up into it. A lot of ease of them moving up into the supers above also depends on how drastically cold it is in your area. The colder it is, the more need to help them move up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts