Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am setting up a brand new hive this year after a 2 year hiatus. I live in inland So. Calif. Temp in summer hits 100-110 easily during the day with "cooling" to 80's-90's at night. Winter averages are in 50's to 60's with night lows in 20's. As far as nectar sources I am surrounded by acres and acres of buckwheat.

Given this info. how do I determine how much to feed a new hive and for how long. Does anyone ever have to feed all winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure where Sage, Ca. is. But I had bees in Ontario, Chino, Pomona, Upland, and Cucamonga. I rarely fed established colonys. I will qualify it by saying that back then, there were citrus groves all over the place, many square miles of neglected grapes with plenty of blooming weeds, and many state roads were lined with eucalytus. I haven't been back there in many years, so I'm sure it has changed a lot. But the "neighborhood" colonys almost always produced a large crop with plenty left for the bees.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I can not find Sage on my Calif. map. Where are you?
When will you be starting your hive?
I would start feeding 1:1 mix when you start and check to see if they are storing more than you are feeding. I have found they will work the flowers harder than to take the feed if it is out there for them to work.
Walt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts