Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Had a package that did not make it this summer. I set there super off to the side before it was robbed out.

I checked it out last weekend and it has a bit of a fermented smell to it.

Out of 3 packages I have one hive left that is doing quit well. (I requeened with a queen from Purvis Brothers) and she is really going to town. Brood in 3 supers but not a lot of excess honey. I was planning on letting this hive have the honey from the hive that died out (poor queen)that the nooby didn't catch it in time. Will it hurt anything for them to have this honey? Most is capped some is not.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Should be fine to do this as long as the hive did not die of AFB. What caused this new package to die?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the hive that died out (poor queen)that the nooby didn't catch it in time.

Should I let them clean out the super by robbing it or simply set it on the hive?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Ah ha! "Poor queen" as in she was not a healthy, laying queen. At first read, I thought you were lamenting. Wonder why the workers did not supercede her?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder why the workers did not supercede her?

No idea. Of the 3 packages all would have failed except that I requeened the last one. All there laid fine for verying periods of time then went drone only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts