Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would simply let the bees keep the honey but I don't want to leave frames of large celled comb (for comb honey) in the hives. I read that if the supers are placed over an inner cover that the bees will move it down into the brood nest.

Does anyone have knowledge of this?

I have some supers full of honey but the brood nests are very, very light.

·
Registered
130 Posts
BeeCurious -

I am not sure it works to just place the box of capped honey over an inner cover. I think the point is to give the bees the illusion that the box is separate from the hive so they will move it down. What I do is use an empty box on top of the inner cover and then place the box of honey frames on top of the empty box. I use a deep box as my empty box to give the greatest amount of distance from the hive but maybe a medium box would work as well-- don't know.

Also I would think you need to scrap the caps some. I am vague on this because I use the above method to clean out extracted supers and have not fed capped honey this way. But I do have experience placing capped honey frames out in the yard for robbing and the bees don't really do much unless I scrap the caps some.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
They won't move it down if they are bringing anything in from the field. I would think that your bees would be bringing in nectar at this time. Aren't they?

Why don't you want to leave the frames of honey that are already there where they are?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think that your bees would be bringing in nectar at this time. Aren't they?
We're getting a rain these past days put things have dried up. I hope the clover will make a comeback and I don't know what minor nectar sources are becoming available.

Why don't you want to leave the frames of honey that are already there where they are?
I don't want to leave large cell comb (Kelley's Special 7/11) on the hive over winter...

Next year I'll use all 4.9mm so I can do whatever I want with the frames.

I'm getting ready for winter :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts