Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would simply let the bees keep the honey but I don't want to leave frames of large celled comb (for comb honey) in the hives. I read that if the supers are placed over an inner cover that the bees will move it down into the brood nest.

Does anyone have knowledge of this?

I have some supers full of honey but the brood nests are very, very light.

·
Registered
130 Posts
BeeCurious -

I am not sure it works to just place the box of capped honey over an inner cover. I think the point is to give the bees the illusion that the box is separate from the hive so they will move it down. What I do is use an empty box on top of the inner cover and then place the box of honey frames on top of the empty box. I use a deep box as my empty box to give the greatest amount of distance from the hive but maybe a medium box would work as well-- don't know.

Also I would think you need to scrap the caps some. I am vague on this because I use the above method to clean out extracted supers and have not fed capped honey this way. But I do have experience placing capped honey frames out in the yard for robbing and the bees don't really do much unless I scrap the caps some.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think that your bees would be bringing in nectar at this time. Aren't they?
We're getting a rain these past days put things have dried up. I hope the clover will make a comeback and I don't know what minor nectar sources are becoming available.

Why don't you want to leave the frames of honey that are already there where they are?
I don't want to leave large cell comb (Kelley's Special 7/11) on the hive over winter...

Next year I'll use all 4.9mm so I can do whatever I want with the frames.

I'm getting ready for winter :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.