Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
lots of folks do it for swarms and splits and packages till the brood box(s) are drawn out. they'll fill it with syrup if you try to draw it in supers, though.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
a new box??...2nd deep hive body??...2nd or 3rd med hive body??? How many boxes are underneath the one u just added?? I dont know if its a brood box or a super! I can say that if its a super you would had a super full of sugar water!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
2nd or 3rd??? med or deep??? your not giving much information.
Is there a flow where your at or a dearth?
Being patient is always a good thing!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Like Mike says: you should feed until they have the brood chamber built out. Your brood chamber should be two deeps or equal to. Since you are starting on foundation only this may take a month or so. If you have other options do not use an entrance feeder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies. Still new at this.

This will be the second brood. Medium, but I'm thinking of sw
apping with full.

I have no idea if I'm at dearth. I'm in Dallas, texas.

Past 2 weeks it's been "cool" and wet. not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You will be able to see if the bees are returning with pollen. Just watch them coming into the entrance. Their leg pouches will be full with yellow, red, purple or other colored pollen. I am not good enough to "see" if they are bringing in nectar. Some say they fly and land like a loaded tanker. Maybe landing rough or missing the entrance. I try to check on them internally every two weeks. That way I can see if they are filling cells with the nectar. You might as well feed them sugar syrup while they are building comb. I have a top feeder and make my own syrup most others do too. When I make it I put 5# of white sugar in a 1gal jar. Fill my teakettle with water. When it boils I stir it in until the sugar is dissolved and the jar is full of syrup. Be careful that the air bubbles coming up from the sugar do not splash onto you. Let it cool overnight and you are ready to feed. There are many ways to feed top feeders, frame feeders, plastic bags pails, buckets, etc.... Try to stay away from the entrance feeders if you can. Have a good time with it, experiment and you will find what works best for your climate and region.

Cappy

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would keep feeding until your brood boxes are drawed out with wax, the feeding seems to speed up the process, also if its raining and wet there like you say they still have plenty to eat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts