Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 2 gallons of honey that I do not want to sell or eat myself. Can I feed it back to a few hives in my yard? What's the best way to do it? Does it need to be watered down?

The reason why I don't want it is that it came from some drawn frames that went through last winter. The frames and some of the cells were spotted with feces because the hive it came from had winter dysentery. The comb was empty when I put it on the hive this summer and I hoped the bees would clean it up before they started filling it. But they didn't do a very job. So the honey coming from these frames is not very appetizing to me.

Thanks

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
If you water down honey to feed it, yeast will quickly multiply and it will ferment. You can feed it any way you feed syrup.

There is nothing you will "catch" from bee feces. There are diseases bees can "catch" from bee feces. It would be safer for you to eat it than the bees... not that I would worry much about either.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
If you put it above an inner cover they will rob it down into the hive. You could bleach the frames with a sprayer before or after feeding and let them set in a closed up hive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts