Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any literature/study/verified observation that indicates nurse bees actually feed capped queen larva through the capping either by piercing the capping itself or saturating the capping with royal jelly? To be clear, I am not aware of any such ability/practice. I am asking because it was proferred by someone I otherwise thought knew what she was talking about. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I've never heard this, nor do I think it is possible. The workers will feed a queen as she is emerging. Also, there is some wax removal just prior to emergence, but I doubt that feeding is done through the cell. This is why emulating swarm-like conditions is so important in your cell builders. You want some RJ remaining after she emerges.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Are you sure, psm1212, that she was not talking about feeding virgin queens that are not allowed by the workers to emerge when they are ready to emerge? When weather does not permit flying and there are multiple virgins trying to emerge, the workers will not allow them to come out. The virgins will extend their tongues through a slit in the end of the cell and nurse bees will feed them. I have never heard of nurse bees putting RJ on the cap of the cell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts