Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I have bought cane sugar and prepared syrup on my kitchen stove, but I'm building up enough hives now so that I need to find a better way to provide/purchase bee syrup. Please provide suggestions for obtaining larger amounts ( but not semi-truck loads) of syrup, and how long can it be stored, and how do you store it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
First of all. The best food for bees is honey. So if you are building up more hive you should be able to leave them lots of honey and have some for yourself.

Second, if you don't like that idea then I have I have seen commercial guys have large drums with warm water pouring in sugar to make syrup. Then they pump it into hives. If you have several apiaries, then a tank on the back of a truck will work. Make your own feeding stimulant and add to syrup. That will keep it from spoiling. Keep it in the drum or tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply rmdial. I have been feeding my bees sugar syrup for around 4-5 weeks when I start new packages and they need to make new comb, and after I make splits, and also typically beginning sometime in March when it starts to warm up and my hives are feeling light when I tip them. We tend to have long winters and late springs in my area. Otherwise I agree that honey is the best bee food!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Know what you mean. I am in No. Idaho about 100 miles south of the Canadian border by Lake Coeur d'Alene. I would do the same with hives needing to build up. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts