Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me a hive of bees last spring. i found plastic clear strips in the brood box. i assume it was for treating mites. the hive hadn't been worked for serveral years. i was afraid the honey might be contaminated. Last week i took the 10-frame shallow hive box full of honey, uncapped it, and put it back on the hive. Will they take the honey from the shallow uncapped cells, and take it down to the brood box? i was going into the hive tomorrow and see. the temperature is going to be in the lower 70's. I would like to remove the shallow hive box, and install it back in the spring.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
First a question, lower 70's isn't spring?

They will move the honey around as they need it or to where they want it. If there is room in the lower boxes and they will most likely move it.
To help this along, place the inner cover under the super. It separators them from this honey somewhat and they tend to move it down faster.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm in central TX; VERY STRANGE weather this year! 75 here today; similar tomorrow then a big drop Sunday (20's to '40's or '50's iirc) then warm again (60's) next week. Real roller coaster; no trees, etc. putting out leaves or blooms yet so more cold weather prolly on the way! Old timers around here say to watch the Mesquite trees; if they start leafing out no more frost. Other trees get fooled but not the mesquites!

Lew in Waco

1 - 3 of 3 Posts