Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good way to feed back the honey and nectar left over from an extraction? Some is still in capped comb, some in the bottom of the bucket.There are other hives close by, and I don't want a frenzied situation,
. Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just let the frenzy happen. I leave the full chunks of comb with honey, bee bread, and sometimes even brood (if I can't reasonably fit it into frames) in the buckets in the yard for a few days. I have about 25 colonies (+1!) that take advantage of this. I've walked right through the frenzy before with no issues. Remember the bees are focused on feeding, not you! After a couple days I'll dump the combs out of the bucket to make sure it can get spread our and the bees get every bit they can. Then the pieces with brood/pollen to into the chicken coop (protein) and the rest goes in the melting pot!

Just don't set the buckets too near your hives as it could induce robbing. I set mine in the middle of my open yard, 30' from any of my hives. Haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you took the material to be "cleaned" out into the open area about three to four hours before dusk, the bees will clean it and then just bring the cart or wheelbarrow of the remains in when it is dark. If your dissatisfied with the clean up, do the same thing a day or two later. You'll have a limited frenzy whose time you can control. OMTCW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts