Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bees off of their syrup a couple weeks ago after we got a whole lot of rain and all the flowers were in bloom. When I first started feeding them through a top hive feeder there was lots of bees gathering from it and then week by week when I would check up on them I saw fewer and fewer bees gathering syrup (always checked around the same time of day and similar weather). They had stored a whole bunch of the syrup and by the time I had taken the feeder off they had used about maybe 2 quarts in 4 weeks. This is a new hive mind you. So now I have the feeder off was wondering if they should be doing alright? Another question I have is that there is about a whole frame's worth of empty brood. The cells are dark. I was wondering if this is normal and that the bees hav fully grown? Also, there were a bunch of open cells (between 5 and 10)with white pupae in them and I found a couple that had been tossed out of the hive. Is this normal as well?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>So now I have the feeder off was wondering if they should be doing alright?

They are probably doing much better.

> Another question I have is that there is about a whole frame's worth of empty brood. The cells are dark. I was wondering if this is normal

Yes. When brood is reared in comb it gets dark from the cocoons.

> and that the bees hav fully grown?

I don't understand the question.

> Also, there were a bunch of open cells (between 5 and 10)with white pupae in them and I found a couple that had been tossed out of the hive. Is this normal as well?

Yes it's normal they remove the sick or injured ones. Quite often the beekeeper contributes to the injured ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts