Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six weeks ago I bought some 4 frame nucs and became a beekeeper. I have the bees on a friend's patch of land and Pedro got his nucs in two weeks earlier than me. Our colonies are in 10frame deep Langstroth boxes. Pedro has more experience in having looked after a couple of wild bee colonies in the past. We are in Peru where the temperature ranges from 26C during the day and 8C at night. So what I am reading about experiences in US and the UK may not be applicable to our location. We have a mentor, a man who studied beekeeping in Germany, however he lives on the coast which is a very different climate scenario than here in the mountains and most or our consultation is done by phone.
We have been feeding the bees sugar solution 3:2 ever since we got them, my friends getting 3/4-1lt of solution twice a week in a frame feeder and mine once a week. His have since become super aggressive whilst mine two weeks behind have remained gentle (they are Italian and Carniola).

Questions:
- are Pedro's bees more agressive because they have a greater population (he has put a second deep on the brood chamber now)?
- most of my colonies are expanding the foundation on frame 6 or 7 though I have one advanced colony which is already on frame 9 - should I carry on feeding, even though there is now plenty of pollen coming in and the nectar is beginning to flow?
- we have been told to have one brood chamber and the second chamber for honey production, but this seems very different to what I am reading here in the forum, maybe a climate factor - what is your opinon?
- is there a best time of the day give the feed? we get 12 hours daylight here and from daylight to dark lasts about 30minutes.

Any advice and comments received are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Questions:
- are Pedro's bees more agressive because they have a greater population (he has put a second deep on the brood chamber now)?
- most of my colonies are expanding the foundation on frame 6 or 7 though I have one advanced colony which is already on frame 9 - should I carry on feeding, even though there is now plenty of pollen coming in and the nectar is beginning to flow?
- we have been told to have one brood chamber and the second chamber for honey production, but this seems very different to what I am reading here in the forum, maybe a climate factor - what is your opinon?
- is there a best time of the day give the feed? we get 12 hours daylight here and from daylight to dark lasts about 30minutes.

Any advice and comments received are appreciated.
Just having a second box wouldn't make your friend's bees "super aggressive". More populous colonies can be more defensive, but not that much different. I would suspect they're being disturbed by a predator, having queen problems or something else is going on. With winter coming on, I'd switch to feeding 2:1 sugar syrup if they have enough comb drawn.... your temperatures described are moderate now (50 to 80F-ish) but what do your winters look like? Right before fall is pretty late to start colonies unless you have a very mild winter with forage available. I'd continue to feed. If they have nectar sources they'll ignore the syrup, but if there's a dearth they'll be grateful for anything you can provide. I'm guessing you're at elevation there, meaning (broad generalization) that flows are short and so is the build-up season.

Typical equipment setup with deep langs is TWO deeps for brood and overwintering stores (one deep for the broodnest and one full of stored honey) and then additional boxes, usually shallows, for honey production.

Add feed whenever you're examining the colony, usually in early afternoon when flight is strong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ben. The temp range in the first post is throughout the year. Astronomically we are entering winter, but metereologically we are in spring and the flowers are just appearing. Eucalyptus flowers are only just starting and will go on for four months and maybe through to November. Though flowering diminishes in December though to March there are usually flowers year round.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts