Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it looks like mostly good weather for a while - nights are cold (32-38), but days are warm and sunny (high 40's-mid-50's). Some small wildflowers are out, but privet is weeks away. Question is: should I begin feeding? Or should I wait another week or two? I'm in central Alabama, BTW. Thanks for any advice offered!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
I placed Mega Bee patties on each of my hives. Most of the hives are taking them. A few just barely. As far as sugar water, they really aren't taking it, yet. Too cool at night still. Need to see some mornings in the 40's and daytimes in the 60s and 70s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
if you start feeding (and pollen paties) now you will have a larger build-up for the honey flow. bad news you have to manage them well or they will swarm, and you cant stop or they might starve (because they have built-up before the flow). some do, some dont. good luck,mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here on the patties...my bees took to them well; dry sugar worked, too. I guess I'll wait another week or so, see how the weather shapes up, and then start the sugar water. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I put out MegaBee in mid January and have been pleased with the results. We have had a more challenging winter this year and believe the early access to pollen is going to work well when I balance out my hives next month. In general, queens last year were so-so and I plan on replacing the weaker ones with swarm cells from the stronger hives that I have been ramping up. If timing/weather works out my hope is to get some cut down splits but its possible they will need to be split earlier. If so, will be selling some nucs as the demand is very high here after the tougher winter.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top