Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rec'd two 5frme nucs and have transferred them into two 10frame boxes. Here in Central Fl, the bloom is in. The 5frames that were put in there along with the 5 from the nucs (these HAVE foundation) are foundationless. My question is, should I feed to help them build comb/brood, or just let them do their thing and build out natural comb on their own?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Typically, a new nuc needs help building comb the first year. Most people feed, sometimes through to fall, to get them in position to overwinter. I would start feeding and you can monitor as the weeks progress. If there is a ton of forage and they are booming, cease feeding.

·
Registered
143 Posts
True, feeding during a drought could cause robbing, but NOT feeding during a drought could cause starvation if the hive doesn't have enough stores. A new hive should have its entrance reduced until it is strong enough to defend itself. Still, robbing can be brutal regardless. For this reason I only use hive-top feeders. Boardman feeders to me are perfect to set off robbing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I can testify to the robbing aspect of entry feeders. I have two new hives two weeks in the hives. I used entry feeders and finally had to move one of them 3/4 miles away yesterday. As of this morning they are both calm. I will never use entry feeders again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Me either, GO, not as an entrance feeder anyway. I will use them inside an empty hive body. That does not seem to set off robbing and does not leave me with a useless piece of equipment.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, guess i'll be feeding. I built two of FATBEEMANS enclosed hive feeder with milk jugs but I did adapt it to take a full one gal container. Actually built four but the first two just the bottom of the jug but those hardly held squat. Built my boxes 10" tall to take the whole milk jug. I put em on this afternoon. (And reduced entrance to couple inches.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
(And reduced entrance to couple inches.)
Keep a watchful eye, especially when there is a drought on. I start my nucs with an opening wide enough for only one bee to fit through. I used to have major swarming issues, but have been trying to change the Italian bloodline to help quell that; seems to be working. But I am still very cautious. A strong hive can take down a nuc quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts