Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that is getting ready to swarm. This was an eleven frame hive that was brought through winter on dry sugar and has been light all spring. I have been feeding them hoping they would draw out the foundationless brood chamber I placed above them about four or five weeks back, it had one drawn frame of stores placed in the center. Instead they filled out the bottom supper with ten frames of brood then decided to swarm. I would have tried pulling up a couple brood frames to relieve congestion but the temperatures have been getting around freezing at night until just a couple of days back.
Today I placed the queen and three drawn combs in the bottom box (one capped brood and two partially filled with stores) and eight foundationless frames. Above this I placed an excluder then a medium super with undrawn frames. On top I placed the remaining nine frames of brood that contain the queen cells and two foundationless frames and gave them a top entrance and a top feeder.
My main question is, will the bees in my bottom brood chamber still take in syrup through the excluder from my top feeder, or will I need to insert a bottom feeder to get them to draw out the remaining nine brood frames?
My other question is, the information I have read about this method of swarm control mention the possibility of running a two queen hive with this configuration. I thought a queen excluder should be placed above the middle super in addition to the one inserted below, but it wasn't mentioned in either of the accounts. If this isn't required I would prefer leaving it off to allow easier access between the brood boxes unless this would cause a problem. Has any one here successfully kept a two queen colony with only one excluder?
Thanks, Daniel

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a top bar hive with 2 follower boards and i took the one follower board and drilled five 2 inch holes so the bees could get through and i was gonna add a queen excluder on both sides of the 2 inch thick follower board so both queens could not meet face to face but the left side went over to the right side after 3 days! Then they started drawing comb like crazy!! (I have no idea)..hahaha You might want to consider maybe a queen excluder then a 1 or 2 inch spacer and another queen excluder just to keep them seperated completely!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't sure that one excluder would work just wanted to see if anyone tried it before.
I really doubt the bees would bring syrup down through two excluders, so I suppose this answers my first question as well. Thank you for your reply honeybeekeeper.
Daniel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts