Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
There is no clear answer as it depends a lot on your flow I would suggest feeding until you have atleast 20 top bar comb s drawn out. Commercial Bees need alot of comb especially when you live in a drought prone area. Might have low flows

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,120 Posts
I just installed two packages. Set them up with about 3/4 of a quart of syrup the day we installed and haven't given any more yet. They have each built about 6 full combs at the five day inspection perhaps not to full depth yet, but they seem to be doing well. Relying on the huge number of blooms around to take care of the rest.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I don't feed much, but others feed a bunch. Around here packages, nucs and swarms all happen around the strongest flows of the year. They don't seem to be that interested in feed since there are other sources of nectar available.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I just stopped feeding my new package from Apr 20; and even then, I had given them a few bars of drawn comb from another hive. Now they are up to 8 bars. I only stopped feeding because I needed the jar in a 3rd hive that wasn't as far along. Otherwise, I'd keep feeding until there are plenty of drawn bars or you see them backfilling the brood nest with syrup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts