Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home a new nuc this morning and was advised to feed it sugar water until it becomes established. Should I mix up a 1/1 or a 2/1 sugar water mixture? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
1:1 - I often times "cheat" by poring a 5lb bag of sugar into a 1 gallon plastic milk jug and fill it with hot tap water. I think the actual measure for 1:1 is closer to 7 pounds but my bees haven't complained.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would do. Sorry I did a 1x1 with HBH in it. For both my NUC's

I also did a drench with extra HBH. Watched the SHB fall to the screen botom board. I only have a few Mites so far. Things are going gang busters.:D

The NUC's were a little lite when I got them.

Brooklyn

·
Registered
717 Posts
I use 1:1 for nucs, 2:1 for packages. This year is so good, nobody is eating the feed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My limited experience is that 1:1 stimulates more wax production than 2:1. (Could be wrong. Don't mind being corrected by those who know) Based on that idea, I would feed 1:1 if I needed them to draw comb and they had a good population. However, if the population was low and they already had drawn comb, I would consider feeding closer to 2:1. It takes less work to dehydrate, so should be easier to store, allowing more workers to do other important tasks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have mixed up 1:1 and will see how fast they take it. Thanks all...for the good advice.

________
"For breath is sweeter taken even as the last in places dear...
With gardens, fields and dogwood trees...
In forest stands of bamboo shoots...
of ginger root and honey bees..."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts