Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've never heard of them, so of course i have an opinion (this is the internet, afterall) ;)

Looked it up and i wish they showed them on a Langstroth. They appear to be a fancier way to do the same as the jar on the top of the hive feeder (e.g. https://www.kelleybees.com/quad-hive-top-feeders.html). They go right along with the boutique hives they are pictured with.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've never heard of them, so of course i have an opinion (this is the internet, afterall) ;)

Looked it up and i wish they showed them on a Langstroth. They appear to be a fancier way to do the same as the jar on the top of the hive feeder (e.g. https://www.kelleybees.com/quad-hive-top-feeders.html). They go right along with the boutique hives they are pictured with.

My $0.02.
Thank you for my morning laugh! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I'm just learning about bee keeping!

and Thank's for being an jerk see ya I'm leaving this site thank's to you!!!

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Minkman, you need to have thicker skin. Beesource for all it's faults is a great resource for the new beek. There is a lot of been there, done that so many posters will cut to the chase and tell you like it is. My .02 is that this feeder is for someone with more money than common sense and is being bought by folks whose bees will be dead within the year. Serious beeks go for effectiveness and practicality. Stick around, you will learn a lot.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My thoughts on this feeder...

The one benefit that I see is that it's outside the hive so you can monitor it and refill when necessary without exposing yourself to bees.

The negatives are many, I will list a few.
1. Cost, with complexity comes cost.
2. Not really inside the hive so it doesn't keep the syrup warm.
3. Seems integrated into a inner-cover so limits you to a certain hive size/style
4. Claim "Protects bees from the elements on inclement days" is only partially correct. It may protect from rain, but not cold and no more than a traditional frame feeder.
5. Likely will interfere with telescoping covers.
6. How long till it leaks being exposed to the elements? I can leave a plastic frame feeder in a hive all winter, can you leave this on during freezing weather?
7. Refilling the feeder without looking at the bees progress, not something I would recommend. You want to know what's going on with the bees and the only way you can do that is to get access to them.

Basically it's an 'internal frame feeder' hung outside a hive.

Their top feeder version seems weird too as it's rather large and intended for solid food? How would I insulate around that or get the top cover to sit correctly? Probably would need to surround it with another hive body, but at that price put something on the inner cover and use a hive body, job done. I guess they would have to have a video to show how to use it, but it kinda looks like something I have seen someone use with a quilt box before, kinda.

Basically, save your money. Go buy an in hive frame feeder, or take a mason jar and poke 4 pin holes in the cover and sit it on the inner cover.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh, one more thing... Seems inconvenient if you have to remove it to inspect the colony. Where are you going to set it without spilling it? Internal frame feeders just stay in the hive body.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that anyone was that offended that easily. And I don't care about anyone who is offended that easily sticking around. We have reinvented mousetraps so many times that mice would be extinct, if they worked.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that anyone was that offended that easily. And I don't care about anyone who is offended that easily sticking around. We have reinvented mousetraps so many times that mice would be extinct, if they worked.
He might have to get rid of his internet. I hate mieces to pieces.
ks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
No I'm just learning about bee keeping!

and Thank's for being an jerk see ya I'm leaving this site thank's to you!!!
I apologize for my next comment but my sarcastic side could not be stopped. You are just learning about beekeeping and the first question you ask is about the Hartman Beehive Feeder? Really?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have found a gallon zip lock bag filled with 3 quarts of syrup, laid on the inner cover with a super around it is the fastest way to feed bees. You just put a 1" slit in the air bubble, the bees come up through the inner cover day and night to feed. It will set you back $.10, but if you can't afford that you couldn't buy the bees either. Get my sugar at Aldi's when 4 pounds is on sale for $1.19. NO clean up or propolis to remove, just burn the bag when there is only 1 table spoon of syrup left in it. That is usually 2 days. Tried many methods, none were as quick for the bees to take or easy to clean up after. If you want, you can send me a check for the difference I saved you. I know how to squeeze a dime. Warning if you make the slit much more than an inch, you will come back to a bag full of bees. Also, make sure it is the bags with a zipper. The ones you just press together can spring open when laid on their side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m going on my third year bee keeping. I joined this group to learn about bee keeping. I am no different then the majority on this site. Then there are some that want to share their knowledge with us new-be’s. Every now and then we will get someone on this site that tries to make a new-be feel stupid for the question they asked. Does that person forget they were a new-be once also? I don’t see the purpose of insulting or making someone feel stupid. We have to start some where and many of us live too far from the nearest bee club. I guess it’s true. Not everyone is called to be a teacher.😕

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I like the baggie method, but if it is going to be cool I put it directly on the top of the frames,, under a tall inner cover/shim. It stays warmer.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It looks like a frame feeder adapted to hang outside on the side of the hive with a crown board that covers the feeder top and has a passage for bees to access the feeder. It is lots more complex than a hive top feeder, and a lot more money. At frame feeder size, it holds less syrup than a hive top feeder, and I can't identify a single advantage it could have over a traditional hive top feeder. For less money you could get three Ceracel top feeders (a high end versatile feeder) shipped from New Zeeland.

When I feed I use hive top feeders or frame feeders. If I'm topping them up for winter I either put three double wide frame feeders in a box on the hive or I put on a hive top feeder with three gallons of syrup. The girls will put the syrup away in about three days. I haven't seen anything that out performs or is more convenient than a hive top feeder. Frame feeders are a close second for smaller quantity feeding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts