Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I used divison board feeders but found a lot of bees drowned even tho O put ladders and a floating pipe in. Also the year before I used top[ feeders from Mann Lake and the bees drowned in them also. Don't know how the bees got in but they did.Has anyone else had this same experience and what did you do about it.I have only had bees for 3 years but there should be a better way to feed them than I did. from NE Ok.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Were the bees actually getting inside the reservoir? The few hive top feeders i bought from mann lake would let a few bees pass though the screen so i sealed it u with a little silicone. I hardly ever have any dead bees and when i do its only 1 or 2 at a time. The hive top feeder is my preferred feeder for warm weather.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I like and use the 4 qt jar feeder from Walter T Kelley. You have to use a riser or spacer. I plan on trying setting them directly on the frames this year. I may have to cut out a top cover to go around it. No drowning, and you can have 4 jars filled to trade out before taking the top off.
www.kelleybees.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with jayoung . . . I learned the silicon sealant idea on this forum and it's worked like a charm. The only bees that drown now are those able to sneak in through the top (make sure cover is on tight), and the very few that drown behind the screen taking up the feed. I've had no further problems.

·
Registered
519 Posts
With the Mann Lake hive top feeders, you have to run a bead of siliconaround the edge of the screen wire, where it meets the plastic. It is a pretty good fit, but there is always a few spots that bees can get through.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I used a hive top feeder and the bees kept drowning in the sides where they accessed the syrup. The only time they quit drowning was when there were so many dead and floating the rest COULDNT drown. I didn't feel that leaving them to drink around a layer of dead bees was healthy, so I moved to the cheap little cypruss quart-jar feeders. With a big hive, I stick two feeders in there and it keeps the entrance reduced to about 5 inches. No more drowned bees...

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you are using a hive top feeder most of the drowned bees I have seen are bees coming into the top from the outside so I started to staple a peice of screen over the inner cover and no more drowned bees for me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know I've probally posted this pic too much but here is what I use to feed.
I made it with a plexiglass bottom so I could see through the feed into the hive to check on their comb building progress without disturbing them. I've since replaced the piece of plexiglass you see with the holes in it with a piece of screen to allow for more ventilation. I've used them since early June and might have drowned 10 bees only during filling. The only way bees can get into the reservoir would be through the top if it's not on tight. I use pennies as spacers at each corner of the feeder and they seem to be the right thickness to allow extra ventilation and keep out the bees.

Later, John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts