Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy who sold me my Nucs showed me this feeder. What it is is a 1/8 in OD copper tube cut to fit the depth of the lid exactly. I drilled a 1/8 in hole and then soldiered the tube to the lid. It works like a charm, and you only have to put a 1/8 in hole in your lid....not sure who invented this, but its awesome...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Fred Ryan, a Chico California queen breeder showed me that set up 33 years ago, so its been around awhile. He told me the biggest drawback was a kid with a bb gun!
They used gallon jugs. I used the quarts for nuc feeders for a long time, but changed to a different set up a few years back. The tubes will plug up on occasion.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
There is an advantage to top feeding directly above the cluster that you can't get any other way. This is probably even better than a perforated lid as it gets the juice right down in to the cluster.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I agree on the top feeding. Thats what we do. One drawback of using glass is if you feed fumagillan the light will de-activate it quickly.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought the copper for 1.79 for 2 feet...took me 5 minutes with a torch...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell ya what Michael. Tell me how many you want and Ill get them to ya pretty cheap...Works great IMHO...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good catch chick. I took a picture of the wrong one. That one is 1/4 indeed... I played with both sizes!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I have been making my own design since 1973.
I use 1/4" copper tubing and if you flare one end soldering can be easier.
I might suggest spraying some pan on the glass treads to prevent the ring frome being difficult to remove.
I graduated to plastic buckets.
The tip prevents robbing and it puts the syrup down where the bees can use it and the syrup does not run off the hive cover.
It's an ideal method for slow stimulative feeding.
Randy Oliver has some photos of his feeding jars on his web page.
Ernie

·
Registered
4,265 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine wwent through11/32 plywood yesterday in about 35 mph wind gusts and didnt budge. The jars lay flat on top of the plywood...IMHO works great. The washer idea is a great one too!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
mine wwent through11/32 plywood yesterday in about 35 mph wind gusts and didnt budge. The jars lay flat on top of the plywood...IMHO works great. The washer idea is a great one too!
Oh so you are only having to drill a 1/4" hole in the hive top to fit the coper through and the ar lid fits flush on the hive top. I was thinking you still had to drill out the 2 7/8" hole to fit the jar in.

I was looking reading on Randy Oliver's (I think) site today. He was feeding mega bee with these feeders. Which that seems like it would work really well for that. Mega Bee and the prepunched lids with small holes don't get along very well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah Hambone, you got it. Thats why i like the design. And if I am not mistaken, they gentleman who showed me was also shown By Randy Oliver. I have tops with holes drilled in them, But I really like this because it only required that tiny hole.....This way that hole can be plugged easily. I didnt spend the money on the featherer for the end, just a small bead ofsoldier worked great....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts