Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased one of these feeders in the 2 qt and the 4 qt. I then made several of my own.

https://products.kelleybees.com/wtkprod/detail.aspx?item=293

With the temp in the 70's, I am just surprised at how slow the girls are taking them. Meanwhile, a couple of hives with boardmans are wearing it out. Anyone ever use these and see slow intake, too?

I'm trying to build up a couple of the hives into two brood chambers for splitting before the flow cranks up here.

And, yes, I run only 1 brood chamber....I know some of you guys run them 2 and 3 deep. It's Alabama. We don't have to cause of the temps...and my bad back! haha

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Add a little lemongrass to your 1:1. That should encourage them to take it better. Many times it just depends on the hive. As you noted some take it fast and others not so fast...not sure what you can really do but make it more appealing to them.

Ask hambone and he would suggest a little bacon grease...but I think that only works in Texas.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have seen that happen when a did have enough hive top feeders. It is my opinion that the Boardman feeder is exposed to the sunshine and outside air temp. This makes it warm up faster and and they take it better. with cool nights it takes a lot longer for the covered hive top feeder to reach a temp that they want to take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts