Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeding my just installed (2 weeks) hive with 4 inverted mason jars on top. I noticed that on the warmer days syrup leaks out. Actually flows out the entrance at the bottom.
I guess it kind of makes sense, the air in a half. or more empty jar contracts at night with cooler temperature and sucks in more air into the jar, then expands when it warms up in the morning, and pushes the syrup out through the bottom hole. If the bees don't eat it up faster than it gets pushed out it just drips into the hive.

1) That just sounds like basic physics, and nothing you can do about, except to keep the jars almost full all the time so there isn't that much air volume to contract/expand. I am surprised nobody mentioned that in the intro class. Any better suggestions on how to prevent that leakage?

2) Syrup dripping through the hive, and flowing out the front, just sounds messy. Is it also harming the bees, or is it just an inconvenience for them to clean up. Basically, how urgently do I need to solve this situation?

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would let three of the jars run dry or remove them. If the bees aren't picking it up as fast as it can leak
out, they're not needing that much feed. Right now they have a limited amount of room to store it.
What they don't eat themselves, or are able to store in their combs, or hold themselves is what's
running out of the hive. My new bees for this year would run out a quart jar in about a day and a half.
If you can check the feeder daily, I would reduce the number of feeders.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have the jars in an empty box on top of the hive? Or are they out in the sun?
I had that problem with boardman feeders on the front of the hive because sun was heating he jars. I now use jars on top and covered with an empty deep box and the problem has gone away.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had this problem also and people said to use aluminum foil wrapped around a few times or a cardboard box over it. Both worked pretty will. Neither had syrup leaking any more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,
Good suggestions, I already had them on 3 full, 1 empty jar, and yes they go through about 1 quart a day.
I guess I'll try going to only one or two jars. The inverted cardboard box for added insulation sounds like a good idea too.
And yes I have them in an empty box on top.

Good to see that nobody seems to be too concerned about syrup running down the hive.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I really believe that your holes in your lids are too large. I use jars almost exclusivey, quarts inside or 1/2 gallon on migratory cover, in full sun. I've never had that problem.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'm with Valley Man. He has seen mine. In Spring and Summer I have 75 -100 most of the time and I have hever had them to leak out the front. I would check hole size in the lid, and make sure the lid is screwed on tight. I don't put anything around mine.

Thru top feeders.jpg

cchoganjr

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Use large fountain drink cups as jar covers if you do not have an empty box to put around the jars. The idea is to keep them out of direct sunlight.
:thumbsup: That's what I do too. But if the jar is significantly out of level and has more than one hole it can make air go in the higher side and syrup leak out the lower side. A push pin type thumbtack makes the perfect size holes for me - the metal is softer than you might think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts