Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my first hive a month ago, everything seems to be going well except the feeder I'm using. I have a boardman/entrance feeder that looks like it's developed a leak and is drawing ants. Could I switch to a pail feeder inside an empty super on top of my inner cover? Will my bees find it OK after a month being used to the other?

I've really learned a lot from these forums.
Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The bees will find the feeder just fine.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Yes, ants are just one of the problems with the boardman style feeders. You're idea of an inner pail or jar feeder is great, much better than the boardman you are removing. Just cover it with an empty hive body and lid so the sun does not shine on the feeder. Sun shining on it will cause increased pressure inside which will cause the syrup to squirt out too quickly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Chunk the entrance feeder as recomended by everyone. Pail feeder inverted over inner cover can't be beat to feed new packages. Ants are a problem everywhere, the bees will keep them out after the mess at the entrance is cleaned up. Keep the entrance reduced until they are strong and need more ventilation.Good Luck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Keep feeding until they have completely drawn the foundation in what boxes you intend for them to occupy as their brood nest, usually 1 1/2 to 2 story. Then; if for example they have drawn 2 deeps and there are enough bees to cover every frame and you have a halfway decent late flow they will probably draw a super.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts