Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who participated in the thread about feeding with supers on and tended to over simplify things this is probably of interest. I was told years ago by a neighboring producer that this is always his toughest decision: The heavy bees we brought back from Texas are getting lighter by the day as rain and cooler temps are in the forecast. A lot of clover and alfalfa are on the verge of blooming. Certainly the bees need a box; many have "plugged out" certainly a feed would be beneficial to many, everywhere is mud complicating the situation. Whatever you do it is going to take 1 to 2 weeks to make the rounds. What to do? Load the trucks with feed tanks or boxes? Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Personally I like to feed. It never gets wasted, the bees can always make good use of it. Lots of rain here. Pretty steady for the last 18 days. For sure you don't want the bees getting caught short of space, should the weather ever turn nice.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
If the hives are heavey, and the bloom is close, and it take 2 weeks to make a round, Id say the most logical thing to do is super them up.

And then go fishing

·
Registered
180 Posts
We opted for ye olde syrup tank, Jim. Heavily populated hives needed fed, smaller hives not so much. Will go around in a couple of days and put boxes on.

You go with the boxes and next spring we'll compare notes!

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Putting boxes on guess I am in the minority around here. Ran out of second stories and now its just excluders and supers. Checking everything for weight and moving honey around accordingly, saw a little honey flow today even in the cool wind. Oh yeah and then there is the fishing when we get things supered up:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts