Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making 3/4" feed rims so that I can feed pollen supplement and or pollen patties for population increase.
I am putting feeder pails on the bees too.
The syrup for filling the pails is a heavy type. (2:! at least) For those that read this and need to know what a 2:1 ratio is it's two parts sugar and one part water by volume.
GRAiNGER has quoted me the following prices for the 2 gallon buckets with the "O" type seal in the cover.
Bucket: $3.83
Lid: $2.16

Any comments are welcomed.
Ernie Lucas Apiaries

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ernie,keiths buckets are like brand new,seen em personally.As far as the rim for feeding pollen,you are better off cracking the boxes,and putting the product in the middle of the hive.I realize it is more labor,but you will be happier with the end results.Best of luck.:)

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
...you are better off cracking the boxes,and putting the product in the middle of the hive.I realize it is more labor,but you will be happier with the end results.Best of luck.:)
When we first strip them down in the fall the brood nest is right on top and that is where we put the first couple rounds of patties. Last year the problem was getting the covers back down short of sitting on them. We put rims on our covers this year for this. They eat those patties right up off the top until they get a little winter feed on. If we cracked the boxes then we would be somewhat in the middle but mostly under the brood. Later, once they are pushed down a little we crack the boxes and put the sub between them. We had no problem doing this last year, and don't see a reason to spend the extra labor until we need to. Those deep boxes are heavyyyyyy.
Sheri

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
You won't regret the rim. Great for pollen patties, meds and I've heard others say the space helps with air circulation and is healthier for bees.

I put 2-one gallon feeders in each of my hives in the top box. One on each side. Two gallons is better than one if I need it and no extra equipment to haul around.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
"Other than the rims."

My rims are part of my lids. I didn't realize Ernie's were separate.

Keith, how do you get your bees to eat off the bottom board? Sometimes I'll have pollen patties drip to the bottom if I get it too wet but the bees never touch it. If I put it in the middle of the boxes they devour it.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ernie when the sundowners or some variation come down out of the hills you'll never f

Tom,
I had 6 cement bricks on the hives last year. The north east winds were clocked at gusts up to 82mph!
I have used L shaped brackets to prevent the covers from blowing off.
I may drill a pilot hole through the cover, the feed rim and into the super. I can use hex head # 10 x 2 & 1/2" sheet metal screws if I have to.
I have had good results feeding the bees when the patty is placed between the 2 hive bodies.
Regards,
Ernie

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Torula yeast suppliers.

I am looking for a supplier of Torula yeast.
Hopefully one near home to keep the shipping cost down.
Please send comments.
Spray dried brewers yeast is used with a low salt, 02 %, is available.
I want to do some in-field feeding trials.

Block +TY = With Torula yeast

Block +BY = with Brewers Yeast

Block +50:50 = 50% TY + 50% BY

Block ML15 = Mann Lake 15% patties.

Block C (Minus +TY, +BY and + 1:1) = Contol

Block KJ = Kieth Jarrett. (Kieth, I wanted to know if you read this part?):D

Block P = % pollen. This could complicate the experiment.

The syrup used will be C & H granulated sugar mixed in a 2:1 by volume.

As in all experiments I need to keep the variables down to a small influence on the Raw and Final Data.--I need a very good conclusion.

I have the queen stocks to test the Breeder queen daughters.
I will try to use test blocks of at least 50 hives/block so that the experiment will produce conclusive evidence.
The reason that I want to do this research is because I have read other data reports and they did not have any controls or their data base was only 10 hives.. Now how can you say that something works or it did not work without controls or such a small data base?

Please submit your ideas.
Regards,
Ernie Lucas Apiaries

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ernie

Just my $0.02 worth: having bee pollen in a feed typically increases the consumption rate regardless of what the other ingredients are. If you are trying to determine the most effective patty formulation, I would consider using the same percentage of pollen in all formulations or remove it from all of them. Looking at your various groups currently, the 15% patty will probably be consumed the fastest. Also, isn't Torula (sp.?) yeast an Australian product?

Also if anyone is interested, truckload quantities of brewers yeast is $0.37 per lb. and soy is $0.46 per lb. These are not delivered prices.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tom,
I had 6 cement bricks on the hives last year. The north east winds were clocked at gusts up to 82mph!
I have used L shaped brackets to prevent the covers from blowing off.
I may drill a pilot hole through the cover, the feed rim and into the super. I can use hex head # 10 x 2 & 1/2" sheet metal screws if I have to.
I have had good results feeding the bees when the patty is placed between the 2 hive bodies.
Regards,
Ernie
when you make your tops change the way you make them, make the part that goes around the hive longer than 3" use a full 1x4 it won't blow off as easy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.