Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6A- High desert Oregon- elevation 3182. Grand solar minimum, yes I know. How is everyone else dealing with the cold? April looked mostly normal but May has been consistently cold. Gardening has been stunted. Bees are alive but not really building. Just put a Bee Cozy and feed back on one hive that appeared lower in population from a month ago. Others got liquid feed on because there has been less flying weather and they are taking it. I'm not going to get too wound around the axle about it. Just trying to respond to mother nature. What is everyone else doing? Is it as cold or weird where you are?

I was watching a Kamon Reynolds video and weather is affecting them for sure.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Weather in the Midwest is erratic.

Worst May freeze.

Supers just went on this last week, about 2 weeks later than "normal".

Stress related diseases or chilled brood, or something was killing off some brood.

Trying not to cause disease by giving them too much room with cold nights, but watching for swarms.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Early May I took off the insulation on my hives. Had a really good flow going, they were busy as heck. Luckily, where I am, the lowest temperature has been 37 degrees, I haven't put insulation back on, but maybe I should have on one hive, as it is a split I did in April. Weather supposed to warm up this week. Yeah, my garden has not been happy either. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Here, I have had bees flying in the daytime, daytime temps have been in the mid 50's or higher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts