Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hawaiian or Australian and Why? If this has been discussed already I'm sorry. I need 100 in mid Feb. Does anyone overwinter this quantity of queens and would have them available then.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Not busting on Australian bees but I know a couple of guys that weren't happy with the quality.

Maybe Hawaii queens will be available...how come you need them so early?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had 300 shipped from Hawaiian Queens Co. last January--about 27th--I was splitting triples that I had brought over from Nevada in december. However, I ordered them in April the previous year--it may be too late. Check with Hawaiian Queens--bee journal. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...how come you need them so early?
For replacing those that become drone layers and getting a head start on deadouts making splits from those that will swarm during the bloom anyways(they are 1 1/2 story which are fed syrup and patties almost constantly till bloom). I would make them later in CA but don't want to risk the queens getting rejected during the ride back to WI in mid-late march. I want them in the hive for 4 wks before shipping back. The bees go directly into the orchard in Nov.( which is another thread for fungicide issues while they are there) and come directly here(WI) as soon as bloom is over.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
--it may be too late. QUOTE]

On waiting list for BIQ and Kona. Waiting for call back from Hawaiin Queens. That's why I am asking about Australian queens. I've heard alot more neg. reports on them than good but is there any GOOD Australian queen's and who are they from?

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
WARNING WILL ROBINSON...DON'T USE AUSTRAILIAN QUEENS.
Beside not having ANY mite resistance, they are chalked full of chalk brood. 3 years ago I started 200 hives with Autralian queens. Less than 50 made it to the almonds the following year, all my other hives, headed by other queens, were fine. Since then I've talked to several other commercial beeks and get the same story...terrible chalk brood and they die off for whatever reason. Even the outfit I bought them from admits it's a problem. Wish they would have forwarned me.

Hawaiians have been good queens but word on the street is they're struggling with big time nosema problems and many don't know how to deal with varroa that is now there.

I noticed in the Bee Journal a couple adds for queens the last part of March from the south or California if that's early enough?

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Indeeed!!!!!!!!!

WARNING WILL ROBINSON...DON'T USE AUSTRAILIAN QUEENS.
Yeah, and don't listen to Dr. Smith.

I talked to a friend the other day about this.
He bought a bunch of these and had to requeen ALL of them as soon as they returned to Oregon. A lot of wasted time and money.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
There should be a law against importing Australian bees, or any imported bees...period. Haven't we learned enough about the perils of allowing foreign bee imports? Australia has found dozens of Apis ceranae colonies in the north...a truck ride away from the packaged bee industry. A. ceranae is the host of Tropilaelaps clareae...a worse parasite than Varroa. No, they haven't found Tropilaelaps yet, but once they do it will be too late.

It will take only 1 female Tropilaelaps to infest North America for the rest of time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
my two cents....if beeks would quit buying australian bees/queens, there wouldn't be any reason or profit for the Australians to ship them over here...import/disease problem solved.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
We can have some entertainment with plant and animal introduction to the USA on a wintery day/season.
I will start you off. But 1st I have to spray some starting fluid on these keys. LOL

We call it a Tumble weed. But it's actually introduced from---:scratch:
Ernie

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ernie, I know the list of critters/plants imported to this country is huge. Some of them accidental, some got here " flying under the radar" and some were intentional. But aren't the Australian bee imports market driven?

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
But aren't the Australian bee imports market driven?
depends on what you mean by market driven. The almond growers and some large beeks want them for almonds, available and keeps prices down. One of the reasons that some beeks are closely involved with the imports, is they feel they need more diversified DNA, and this is one way they get it into the country for better or worse? Thants why purvis and the weavers were in australia helping with the breeding, do you think they could have cured chalk brood in a year without bringing in other queens from some other country. They answer that its safe because of the way Australia quaranteens? the queens or droan seamen.

I think they should be kept out as michael palmer says:
It will take only 1 female Tropilaelaps to infest North America for the rest of time. now the autralians won't let our bees in as we have diseases and mites that they don't have, our govt. ignores the fact that they have
Tropilaelaps until they find it in the imports, that our govt. doesn't test???
I'm not sure that "our" govt is on our side.

mike syracuse with my diesel pluged in so it will start later

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
For nearly a hundred years it WAS illegal to import bees in to the US.
The Aussies were allowed in without consulting Apiary Inspectors of America, the bee industry or any one else with a vested interest other than almond growers. This colony collapse thing started immediately afterward. A very small number of people have made a lot of money peddling them. I have never heard one positive comment from anyone using their stock.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Perhaps if we would simply not purchase any bees, any type of bees, from the breeders/importers, telling them as long as they import Australian bees, we will not be doing any business with them, that might stop it? I don't know, but something has to be done. Personally, that's what I'm doing. And I'm writing the companies. But I don't buy that much anyway, so they'll probablyl think "no big deal."
Regards,
Steven

1 - 20 of 25 Posts