Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all the experienced beekeepers. I am thinking to raise bees and collect beeswax to make candles. But I am not sure if it's a feasible idea. Could anyone share the cost of having a hive ? I am in Alberta Canada , I will like to know besides the cost of buying the hives and tools , how much time to maintain and harvest a hive ? Thank you all . Eli

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Hello all the experienced beekeepers. I am thinking to raise bees and collect beeswax to make candles. But I am not sure if it's a feasible idea. Could anyone share the cost of having a hive ? I am in Alberta Canada , I will like to know besides the cost of buying the hives and tools , how much time to maintain and harvest a hive ? Thank you all . Eli
Cappings wax produces about 1- 1.5% the weight in finished wax to the weigh to of honey harvested. You will need to produce 100 lbs of honey to get 1.5pounds of wax. Or you will need to run foundationless frames and destroy your combs every year to maximize wax production. I am thinking regardless you will need about five hives to produce enough wax to have enough for an amount of candles. That will cost you a lot more than just buying beeswax.

Reactions: AHudd

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with odfrank, if you re having bees just for the wax, you'd be better buying wax straight up.

There is potentially a lot of time and money involved in setting up a beekeeping operation that produces enough wax to make candles.
Personally for me, the wax is only a 'byproduct ' of beekeeping.
There is a guy I know who run a number of hives just for the wax along his Honey production, but he is a commercial bee keeper, so he has the gear and can allocate time to deal specifically with his wax production.

In my first year after I melted all the capping from the Honey harvest, I was rather astonished by how little wax there was left after it was all properly melted and cleaned. Two 5 gallon buckets full of cappings, gave me about 7kg of wax.

Anyway, it's all up to you of course, either way bee keeping is a fantastic way to spent time out and about, I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cappings wax produces about 1- 1.5% the weight in finished wax to the weigh to of honey harvested. You will need to produce 100 lbs of honey to get 1.5pounds of wax. Or you will need to run foundationless frames and destroy your combs every year to maximize wax production. I am thinking regardless you will need about five hives to produce enough wax to have enough for an amount of candles. That will cost you a lot more than just buying beeswax.

Woahhhh......5 decades !!! You must have become the Master of the Masters.....thank you for sharing your insights ....i think I will just buy the wax from bee farms. As per helping bees from extinction, I am going to plant as many flowers I can that the bees like, in my patio. How is your candle business doing these days ?

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
You should be after high-quality wax, certifiably clean and sold at high pricing (like into cosmetics) - to bother with your own bees
Like here:

Candles are just about burning the stuff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thank you, but what is TF? Yes after all the good insights here, I have decided to buy the wax . Not sure if I need high quality wax, I thought I can always filter it with cheese cloth before I pour it

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Oh thank you, but what is TF? Yes after all the good insights here, I have decided to buy the wax . Not sure if I need high quality wax, I thought I can always filter it with cheese cloth before I pour it
Don't worry about TF (Treatment-Free beekeeping) - not your problem.
You just need good looking, presentable wax.
Contamination is really not a big concern for you (talking of chems, not visible trash).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts