Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
A week, although they won't have it all capped by then. Actually just a couple of weeks ago I had a comb honey super (shallow) that was being ignored by the hive that it was on. I had another hive (actually a mating nuc started May 15 that had drawn out two deeps and one honey super) so I move the comb honey super over to that hive. It is getting late in the year for comb honey.

I pulled both end frames 6 days later and they were drawn and filled (not capped). All of the other frames looked filled from the top (I didn't pull them to look to keep from damaging them), but the top cells were capped.

This is wild flower honey (mountain flowers but with a lot of blackberry).

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
How is anyone supposed to know that? When the nectar is flowing that fast, you don't have time to check a super every day to see how fast it is filling.

Good bees can fill a medium (with drawn comb) in a week in a good flow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm new to this stuff so I don't know if this is fast or just normal but I put a med super on my bees this year and it was drawn (coated plastic foundation) in two weeks. The super was put on under a drawn and filled super that was half capped. The top inch or so of the new super was capped. That seemed kind of fast to me. I did add another super a week ago. I'll look in there tomorrow or the day after and let ya know what I see. I am using an excluder but they don't seem to care about the excluder at all. Lots of bees in there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I dont know about just a super, but my first year with bees I had 2 hives with 3 lb. packages draw and fill out 2 deeps and 4 med. supers each. All on new Duragilt foundation. That took from the end of April untill late August.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good lord, 4 deeps and 8 medium supers in 120 days from two packages on new foundation,--------1st liar doesn't have a chance (Just kidding)!

Me? I'm going to be thrilled with 2 deeps and 2 mediums on old dry comb my first season, from May 15th to September frost. I plan on leaving them the 2 deeps and a medium for winter.

Fog

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
It was a few years back, but you know it when it happens. All pistons are firing. Weather pattern creates an intense flow, colonies are at their prime, and supers fill up fast. Supers are filled with the best tasting honey, of course! :applause:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here in the southern part of the Texas panhandle, my bees are drawing comb slowly. I have both purchased nucs and feral cutouts. I see some hives drawing comb better than others and many that just piddle along. I'm very envious of those who say they've had multiple deeps or mediums drawn in a matter of weeks. I have some hives that haven't drawn a single deep out yet and they have been with me since the first week of May.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Last year... boomer of a hive... put 2 drawn supers under some others that were mostly full, just above the brood nest excluder.
12 days later they were both full and I had to put more boxes on.

That hive produced 8 mediums of honey in one season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts