Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article on changes in farm ownership, and how management of farmland in the U.S. may be affected in the next twenty years.

Half of U.S. Farmland Being Eyed by Private Equity

"An estimated 400 million acres of farmland in the United States will likely change hands over the coming two decades as older farmers retire, even as new evidence indicates this land is being strongly pursued by private equity investors."​

That story got my attention after watching Mike Palmer in a video explain how land management trends in Vermont are eliminating pastures and other less profitable uses of farmland, and reducing the forage available in many areas. In the "Green mountain state" — Vermont!

(If I can figure out what video it was, I'll post it below.)

In other news, USDA Spending $3M to Feed Honeybees in Midwest.

The headline made me think the government's going to buy high-fructose corn syrup for the bees. But actually they're pushing away from that. The plan is to leverage the funds ($3 million isn't a lot of money, I think) to encourage farmers to "reseed pastures with alfalfa, clover and other plants appealing to both bees and livestock," and to get away from mono-cropping soy and corn, at least by planting cover crops in the off-season or growing "bee-friendly forage in borders and on the edges of fields."

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
The "government" is enticed by lobbyist and that isn't ever going to work out for the little guy.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
If you are a little guy and it worked out for you then somebody big made a killing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts