Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
This area was farmed with dynomite. I sit on property that was in my family since the first records were kept here. It was out of the family(to another pioneer family) for two generations before I bought it back. I'm told that my great-aunt, who lives less than a quarter mile from here in a stone house, has pictures of this place being blasted by my grandfather as a young man but she won't speak directly to our branch of the family so I won't get to see them until she passes or a cousin brings them by.:( Her place, which borders mine, still has sunken areas that collect water as she was still blasting in the seventies and that's the last time any major changes occured on the property.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
736 Posts
I have an old dynamite box that was left in the barn when dad bought this place in the early '60's. He was the first deeded owner of the place, it was originaly from a land grant signed by Andrew Johnson when he was still gov. of Tennessee. Mom has the land grant papers put up, one of the desendants from it is still alive at 101 years old, she was my 1st grade teacher.

sorry did not mean to get :eek:t:

G3

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
this summer i got to use 220# of c-4 to build hiking trail in the selway wilderness of idaho. you can't use a wheelbarrow in the wilderness but you can bring 220# of c-4 in on a mule and thats fine. some of this area was logged using dynamite. the western larch and western red cedars have so much taper at the bottom that you were not really wasting usable logs and they were big enough that it was slow going for a chainsaw. if the guy has me back this summer we are starting out with 600 more pounds.and the wife wants me to find some real work. go figure

·
Registered
108 Posts
My dad always talked about useing dynamite to remove stumps. He could get it at the hardware store. I think he said for 5 cents a stick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts