Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read on another web site where they dont suggest haveing animals in a pen near a hive. I have 2 goats in a pen that will be about 30-40 feet from the hive(s). Does this present a problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've got chickens a couple hundred feet from my hives - with no problems. I think you need to make sure your bees have a good reliable water source (other than your goats water). I think that is what all the hullaballoo is about. Your bees may choose to drink from the goats water and wind up stinging your goats a lot. I also know a beek who had her hive knocked over as the goats used it as a scratching post. if yours are penned away I don't see the real problem.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
if they're in a pen it's no problem
the problem comes when they can get near the hives
livestock tend to want to scratch up against the boxes which doesn't make the bees too happy, nor the livestock:no:

Dave

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I have hives a foot or so away from a cattle feedlot fence. The hives face the feedlot.

I see a few bees now and then going through grain dust recently, but the cows seem more concerned about the electric fence than the bees.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have my bees next to a fence with 50 or 60 head of cattle in it and it has not been a problem. I also keep bees 50-75 yards from our goats and misc poultry and that hasn't been a problem.
Kingfisher

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
We have bees in the same lots as horses and cows in Florida. The state recommends against chained, corraled and penned animals near bees. I have always ahd cats and dogs around the hives. The cat sleeps on top of the hive.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My daughters dogs are black labs and when I am working the hives they always seem to be under foot which gets them stung a lot.My other dogs are tan colored and they rarely get stung although they tend to keep a 5 to 10 foot distance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
In a few years, we'll be keeping chickens... I'm hoping to eventually overwinter the chickens and the bees in the greenhouse together. I'm thinking if I raise the hives up 16 inches on cinderblocks, this should keep it out of chicken-reach.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think the chickens will be in heaven. but I worry if it gets too warm the bees will want to fly and forage. where will they go if they are in a greenhouse. maybe a more seasoned beek should weigh in, but I was under the impression that bees do okay in cold weather - they just need stores to keep them fed. Will they use too much energy and raise too much brood if the temps stay kinda warm inside the greenhouse?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 4 pet ducks are in an enclosure about 10 feet from the 2 beehives.

Hasn't been a problem for the ducks. Been a slight problem for the few bees that try to get into the water dish -- seems that bees make a very tasty duck snack.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well.....just like the little boy who learns to not touch the burner twice, i hope these dumb Goats figure it out quickly as well. My concern and i think the point of some suggestions is that if the goats start getting stung in the pen, they have no where to escape to except an attached mini barn that has open windows and door. Well see.....Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts