Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am wondering if anyone out there has split thriving colonies in the fall/end of summer in terms of management to produce more colonies for the next season.

I have 4 thriving hives that I am contemplating on splitting to "hopefully" have 8 colonies coming through next spring. I was wondering if this would be a valuable practice since I have close to enough honey on the hives to cover both ends of the split for the winter, plus whatever else they would store. I have also heard of the benefit of going into winter with a strong, young queen and the fact that smaller colonies sometimes overwinter better.

I live in Southwestern Pennsylvania we should have a flow up till the end of sept. if the weather stays with goldenrod and aster.

Please respond with your comments.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
What would you do about the queenless half of the split at this point in the season, letting them raise their own would not be an option for me this late in the year. So, you would have to buy queens, which shouldn't be a problem if you do it real soon, they are still available. Be sure to split everything up equally, brood and food. John

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm sorta by default in that situation. I planned to use my four hives to make two additionals by taking from the rich and giving to the poor with two purchased mated queens. This was 6 weeks ago. I finally got confirmation that queens are in route. Kinda late but here is what I'm doing. Out of four strong hives I took five frames of brood. Made sure nothing younger than 3 day old larvae, some honey and a side full of pollen. Put in a lang divided with a board so it is a 5 frame nuc for now and kept the entrance closed but is well ventilated. Will feed continuously even though the fall flow is kicking in. (this was all done today) The queens will be here Wed. Will intro per instructions and open the entrance keeping it reduced to avoid possible robbing. The second queen will be intro to a hive that is struggling with chalk brood, but that is a side note.
My thought is it can be successful with the right setup and circumstances,,,,,having them make a queen IMO, would not be the way to go.
So, instead of two additional hives going into winter,,,I will have one,,,,but,,,they will hopefully all make it.

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
hi
do not split. you have to work with the bees. if you feed early in the spring you can make the increase easy. by splitting now will hurt your four good ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts