Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does the nectar flow begin to slow down in Wisconsin? What are the last plants blooming that would signal the end of the flow? How long after the "flow" will bees still be able to forage and not use reserves?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I can answer your questions in part. Goldenrod and the Asters are the last plant to give nectar in my area of Wisconsin. After that there is nothing. Someone told me that it is variable - sometimes the Goldenrod will give up to 60 pounds a hive, and sometimes very little. Additionally there are several types of Goldenrod and they don't yield equally.
I have only been keeping bees since 2008. For a more precise answer I bow to the generous and wise Wisconsin Commercials beeks: Sheri, Roland, and Shannon are you out there? :)
Adrian.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Goldenrod and Frost Asters are the last flow but not always reliable. The main light honey flow is usually done by early/mid August. Last year in mid-September there was a good Goldenrod/Aster flow yet but the weather was favorable for it. For an average I would say that all flows are done by Sept. and at that time all feeding and treatments should be started if necassary.

Around here there is an abundance of clovers blooming yet. If we stop getting rain every 3 days and get a dry spell there could be a great alfalfa flow yet in mid August. With the great plant growing weather this year and if we have a warm/hot sept the goldenrod/asters could be great producers again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts