Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm south of you in n.e. Kentucky and I am noticing blooms of dark purple blossoms outin the brush. It did get rather cold here last couple weeks at night and wet and cloudy many days. Could the cloudy and cold trick the plants? Do the plants go by ttemperature or daylight hours?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Fall flowers are blooming everywhere here also....Goldenrod and all kinds of flowers from the aster family as I look them up trying to figure out what they are...:) purples, reds, yellows everywhere.
Russian thistles are going to seed. I love fall but sad to see summer go and of course the great equalizer (winter ) is on it's way.....

==McBee7==

·
Registered
426 Posts
I actually noticed it a couple days ago in nucs at my home yard but then the odor went away. I will be checking a couple production hives tomorrow. I love that smell!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Here, the star thistle is still going but looks like it'll be winding down and the tar weed it starting. The eucalyptus trees should be along anytime also. This year despite the drought we've done pretty good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
well i have been watching the bees all day on and off. There is a couple of hundred acres of cotton below me and late beans to both sides. I went down to the cotton field with my binoculars to try spot some bees. sure enough they were working the cotton.

Back at the apiary the bees were in a panic. crashing into each other trying to get in my 3/4" nuc holes, knocking pollen off each other. it really was behavior i had not seen before.

My double nucs are now out of control, my production hives too.

Life is sweet.

G.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My summer fall flow has been poor so far in all my yards but it seems to be very dry around. Lots of egg and and young brood and boiling with bees but WTH is all the nectar and honey? I'm glad I wasn't greedy and left some on but which many have gulped down in no time.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Here in Southern Ohio the Goldenrod has been in bloom for a little over a week now, when right up next to the hives I can smell it, the hive entrances are stained yellow from the incoming pollen however I have detected no appreciable weight gain in the hives at this time but I am sure there will be as time progresses :).

·
Registered
449 Posts
And now I know that the yellow flowers are Goldenrod . It's blooming here in N central Ar. too . There is also a white flower with a round blossom head blooming , and some that look kinda like small sunflowers . Hasn't rained here in a while , the .02 inches we got in the last week or so hardly counts . Today is the day I do my weekly hive check , I sure hope they've had enough nectar to start drawing comb on the med super I added recently .

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I actually noticed it a couple days ago in nucs at my home yard but then the odor went away.
I had the same thing happen about a week ago in my back yard. Here it's meleleuka. My country hives are not near any meleleuka, only my few back yard hives, and the trees are not that close by. Smelled it for a few days and could see bloom on the trees that are abundant about 3=5 miles from my house. Maybe the heavy rain washes away the bloom because it only lasted a few days. I believe it is reoccurring because the last 2 years here at my new home I've gotten meleleuka honey. I'm in SWFl. Unfortunately the trees are being slowly eradicated. Bees love it, good food for them during dearth, plus more people are specifically asking me for mel honey.

I started making phone calls and knocked on one farm door in the area near me where I see all the trees, hoping to find someone who will let me put up 3 or 4 hives for 3 months during this bloom (another month) and Brazilian pepper to follow--no luck so far.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thought I smelled a slight goldenrod odor earlier this week. Tonight, my home apiary was definitely ripening goldenrod. Not real strong yet, but starting. Last year it started on August 10.
I saw some goldenrod starting to bloom last weekend. The scale says, bees found something they like last friday. They have put on 10 pounds in the last week.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
We've never had a flow at this time of year before, but now that we have moved a couple hundred km up the road, looks like we are getting input from the goldenrod here. The scale hive is up 12 pounds in the last 10 days.

So the dumb question for those that know such things, how long would you expect the flow to keep coming from the goldenrod ? If this keeps coming at this rate for another couple of weeks, my colonies here at home wont be needing much for winter feed.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
So the dumb question for those that know such things, how long would you expect the flow to keep coming from the goldenrod ?
You called it dumb, not me, so here's the proper answer. Until it quits. :)

Prepare for the worst and be thankful for the best. How many supers above the brood boxes do you have on now?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry type-o

Summer loosetrife and goldenrod poor so far.
Italians are starving, colonies too big, splitting for nucs. Russians in better shape.
Took super off and hit with a gallon of light sucrose syrup each.

Fall bamboo and asters we will see.
Crossing my fingers. Ordered a pallet of sugar just in case.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You called it dumb, not me, so here's the proper answer. Until it quits. :)

Prepare for the worst and be thankful for the best. How many supers above the brood boxes do you have on now?
Ok, to make Mark happy, i will try rephrase the question, to extract the answer I'm looking for.

In your experience, in years gone past, how long does the goldenrod continue to produce, on a typical year ?

Right now, in this yard, I have no supers on. We extracted them after the berries, then the empty supers went up to the fireweed patch on the colonies that are up there. I was _expecting_ to need to feed here at the home yard, because I've been told for years, here on the island, August is a dearth, and it was in our old location. In the new location, we have what amounts to a bit of a surprise, there are 2 unoccupied 5 acre lots about half a kilometer up the road, both fully covered in goldenrod blooms now. About the time they started blooming, scale hive started to gain weight again, and I dont have a feeder on them. I'm treading into unknown territory, so, just asking of those that have 'been there, done that', based on your _past experience_, what would be your expectations. Not asking you to predict the future with any accuracy here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts