Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area with no fall nectar flow. A friend of a friend offered to let me use her property in Huntersville, NC which is on the northwest side of Charlotte. I put three colonies there a few days ago as an experiment.

Can anyone tell me if I should expect to get a flow there this time of year?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What date range have you two typically seen for a fall flow and how much should I expect to get? One super or...?

·
Registered
12 Posts
At best, they will pack up the brood chamber and one shallow winter super.
Golden rod starts middle Sept. and the white aster bloom there after. They last till a little after the first frost. You'll know when they are bringing in aster nectar. Your hives will smell like rotten fish or your old old dirty socks. It doesn't bother the bee's

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. Sounds like I've put them out early, but they'll be ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a note: Don't ever count on the golden Rod or asters. Your bee's could starve waiting for them to produce nectar. Check your weights of your hives and if they are light....... Feed!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, I fed them before I put them out there. They have any empty super above 3 mediums.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I won't be able to get to Huntersville this weekend as planned. Have any of you noticed the beginning of a flow yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts