Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Fall Flow in Central NJ

1050 5
I have three colonies which are all doing well. We have some goldenrod in bloom here in central New Jersey, but it seems to me that it's not a great year for goldenrod for whatever reason.

I want to treat for mites and get geared up for later fall and moving into winter with some feeding of 2:1 to build up some stores in one of the hives. The other two at last check each had nearly a full deep of stores.

How long should I wait for a possible goldenrod harvest before I give up and move forward with pre-winter steps?

Alan
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super helpful information, thank you. I am going to take a look at all three hives this weekend and make an assessment. I live on a small farm, and there is another farm behind mine, together roughly 100 acres. There is some goldenrod, but not very much compared to other recent years. I didn't notice any appreciable Fall flow last year. I think I will likely err on the side of caution and treat for mites now with the goal of getting all three colonies thru winter and hope for a good Spring 2020 season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.