Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not so familiar with behavior in the hive during fall flow since I try to limit inspections during what's usually the season of robbing. The bees were very active in all hives, but not much in the way of stores. Lots of flight activity. The strangest thing was that I opened the hives and inspected the top boxes (only peripherally around checked edges of brood nest for honey stores) and there was ZERO defensive behavior. I did not use my smoker nor did I wear gloves. Not a single bee attempted to sting me in the four hives I checked into. I wonder if that's a sign of flow on - usually that kind of docility is true in the spring when they're building up and there's a flow on.

In one hive, there were many bees all over the top (storage) box, but they don't seem to be adding any new nectar. Wondering if any flow that's happening is being used for hive sustenance now.

I know all this is very location dependent. I'm in SW Ohio - goldenrod and aster are currently in bloom. But I don't think they're providing enough to bring the hives to needed weight for winter. So starting on syrup tomorrow.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The bee's flight muscles have to warm up to something like 95F before they can fly. If it is chilly day, they literally might not have the ability to fly up and 'greet' you when you open up the hive. This is definitely the month to get stores in order. I don't know what type of feeding method you use, but do you use anti-robbing screens?

There might be a weak flow on that is providing just enough for them to sustain themselves, but not enough to create a surplus for winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts