Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to feed all my hive for the winter in east tennessee. Some hives are light on honey stores and some have plenty of honey. If I feed all the hives at once, will the hives that have plenty of honey self regulate and not add too much more honey and risk not having empty cells to raise adequate winter bees? It would be difficult to know which hives are which as i have 28 hives snd it would be easier just to feed everyone. I use top feeders to feed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Where I live, a full hive needs 60 lbs of stores to get through the winter. I am further north than you so it probably will not be as much for you. They might self regulate, but they probably won't. If you feed them too much they will start putting honey in the brood nest and the queen will run out of room to lay which will delay your winter bees and might make them swarm even this late in the year.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I am getting ready to feed all my hive for the winter in east tennessee. Some hives are light on honey stores and some have plenty of honey. If I feed all the hives at once, will the hives that have plenty of honey self regulate and not add too much more honey and risk not having empty cells to raise adequate winter bees? It would be difficult to know which hives are which as i have 28 hives snd it would be easier just to feed everyone. I use top feeders to feed.
Go thru your hives and do a quick check. If anyone of them have less than one deep/2 mediums of stores mark them with tape and start feeding them. You can also note how much you need to feed the light hives to get them into the right area when you check them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts