Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble in getting the girls to draw out comb in a new beeswax foundation. There are several hundred bees all over the frames/foundations but for whatever reason don't seem to have any interest in drawing out the foundation. I cannot move a frame of brood up since my two deeps are of a different size. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Are you using a queen excluder between the deep boxes and the medium? If so, remove the excluder.

Bees don't like to draw comb when they are not on a nectar flow. Feeding them will help get the comb drawn.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I don't know much about nectar flows in North Carolina but this is from a thread on June 1, 2010. > http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242587

"We've been told by a couple different people that the honeyflow is over. How can this bee when a) it's barely June and b) the bees are still working flowers." > NC.

" A nectar flow/honeyflow is when there are so many flowers blooming on one or more nectar producing plants that the bees can easily harvest so much that they run out of storage space and are stimulated to store excess nectar as honey, build new comb, expand their populations,.."

"It's true that the main nectar flow is over for us this year. I define "main" the same way as Joseph states above. In our area, that would start in March with the ornamental hollies, redbud, blackberry, tulip poplar, American holly, Tupelo, Linden and clover. Of course, other things are mixed with these, but these are the main indicator plants that start in late March and end in Mid May." > NC.

North Carolina nectar flows: > http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/plants.htm

My guess is you will have to continue feeding, although this will mean the bees will store syrup in that super, if or when they start building comb there. Try to get information from a beekeeper in the North Carolina area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts