Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to beekeeping- acquired 2 hives from nucs in early November (mid-spring here in Aus). Have been feeding sugar syrup to both hives since then as they build up, with one colony now filling a deep 10-frame. The second colony is much weaker- from the 3 original nuc frames, they have only expanded into 2 of the undrawn foundation in the same time. For the first couple of weeks, I wondered if the queen in this weaker colony was failing as I saw no new brood.

I was inspecting today though, and noted that in the weaker colony some cells have as many as three eggs. Now, these eggs are centred and at the bottom of the cell- which makes me think that they were laid by the queen, rather than a laying worker. The brood is overwhelmingly worker rather than drone, and the drone brood is not appearing in worker cells. Again, this makes me think the queen is alive and kicking.

My thinking is that the queen in this hive is newly mated, that it took her a few weeks to get laying and that the multiple eggs are just a result of her 'finding her feet' and will eventually clear up. What do you think?

As I'm new to this and you fine people all know WAY more than I do, I'd really appreciate your thoughts, suggestions and advice!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Some newly mated queens lay several eggs in one cell. After she gets a little practice, she will then lay just a single egg.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts