Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in north-central Oklahoma. I currently have 8 hives. I have a split that did not take. The queen died. This is the 1st time a split has not worked. I am wondering what to do with the remaining bee's from the split. Should I merge them with a weaker hive? Let them alone and see if they raise a new queen?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
you need to give'em a frame of fresh eggs to get a queen. other than that its a personal choice-got enough hives? hate to not succeed with a split? no way to be wrong. good luck,mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
How weak is the hive? How weak are your other hives? When you say the queen died... was it a queen you bought and placed in the hive, or did you do a walk-away split and let them raise their own?

-If the hive has eggs and larvae, they should raise a new queen. If there are still lots of bees, but no eggs or larvae left to raise a queen from, you might want to consider swapping a couple frames from a strong hive with fresh eggs, small larvae, and capped brood... if possible. No reason you can't mix&match from a couple of your other splits to get what you need. Then the remaining bees should take advantage of the eggs and fresh larvae and raise a queen.

-If the hive is weak... not many bees... and you have a split with a good queen that needs some more bees... then combine them. Piece of newspaper between the brood chambers to combine them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts