Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is the second time it happened to me, and i dont know why:
I got in the building hive just one cell acceptness from 20 artificial cells.

Parameters:
The building hive was queenless for 24 hours
The building hive has a lot of young bees
I fed them 1:1 when i put the frame with the plastic cells
There are sufficient amount of drones
the Temps in this season are between 15-40 Celcius
No Bee eaters around
There are some wasps aroung - not too many
I succeed alredy, early in April to rear 10 queens in the same method (Doolitle - grafting)
Please advice...

Thanks
Randi

·
Registered
970 Posts
There needs to be plenty of pollen coming in and in the hive is very important

The cell builder needs to be crowded

most all the larva out of the cell Starter is best

I use a free flight cell builder

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I raise queens all the time. In the cell builder you need 1 frame of pollen, 1 frame of honey, 1 frame of foundation, and your frame of grafted larva plus other frames of emerging brood and a feeder full of 50/50 syrup.
Then you may raise queens no mater if there is no flow on or pollen coming in.
Be careful in your grafting. only take 12 to16 hour old larva and do not roll them over when you graft or they will drowned in the queen jelly.
Be sure you do not have a queen in the cell builder. Even a virgin queen will stop the nurse bees from feeding the larva
Failure can also be caused by not enough nurse bees. The cell builder needs to be bursting with nurse bees.
Doing this procedure usually gives me a 95% success rate.
Clint

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I raise queens all the time. In the cell builder you need 1 frame of pollen, 1 frame of honey, 1 frame of foundation, and your frame of grafted larva plus other frames of emerging brood and a feeder full of 50/50 syrup.
Then you may raise queens no mater if there is no flow on or pollen coming in.
Be careful in your grafting. only take 12 to16 hour old larva and do not roll them over when you graft or they will drowned in the queen jelly.
Be sure you do not have a queen in the cell builder. Even a virgin queen will stop the nurse bees from feeding the larva
Failure can also be caused by not enough nurse bees. The cell builder needs to be bursting with nurse bees.
Doing this procedure usually gives me a 95% success rate.
Clint

1 - 4 of 4 Posts