Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not the right forum for this kind of question, but I hope someone will help me with this, because I know, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. :). I spoke to a mechanic, searched hours online and could not find any info. I don't know who to ask.
The engine on my 2012 F550 got bad the other day right before the almonds. I have to replace it. It is powerstroke 6.7l, long frame, 2 doors, automatic transmission, 90k miles. I want to know what models and years engine will fit this truck. It will be nice to get one 6.7l engine from a F250 or F350 since they are less abused than F550 and are more popular. Any major issues with different models or I should stick only with engine from F550. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A 6.7 motor is a 6.7 motor ..It doesn’t matter whether it came from a f250 all the way to a f550 its the extra suspension components that make up the number on the truck. The diesel motor is still the same .. 2011 to current on the 6.7 motors they have made some modifications on the newer years .. Find a local diesel shop that specializes in powerstrokes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw few engines on craigslist also on few other sites, like ebay that came from F250 and F350, 2011-2014. One site mentioned that engine can fit F450, but nothing that it will fit F550 or what issues it might be. I will search more today.
Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
You should definitely ask this on the Ford forum. The engine should be the same .Only difference I can think of is the engines on the bigger cab /chassis trucks is derated (longer life but less power). Anything over a 350/3500.I have 3 big Ram trucks with the 6.7 and they have plenty of power even being derated. I dont know what CARB would think of an engine swap, but they stick there long nose into everything.
It sucks losing the engine right before almonds!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I know this is not the right forum for this kind of question, but I hope someone will help me with this, because I know, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. :). I spoke to a mechanic, searched hours online and could not find any info. I don't know who to ask.
The engine on my 2012 F550 got bad the other day right before the almonds. I have to replace it. It is powerstroke 6.7l, long frame, 2 doors, automatic transmission, 90k miles. I want to know what models and years engine will fit this truck. It will be nice to get one 6.7l engine from a F250 or F350 since they are less abused than F550 and are more popular. Any major issues with different models or I should stick only with engine from F550. Thank you very much.
Victor, I would strong recommend that you look into the cost of retro-fitting your truck with a 5.9 or 6.7 liter Cummins I-6 or even an International DT 466 instead of the another Ford Power Stroke 6.7. The Power Stroke 6.7 is a very strong performing engine but much like the dreaded 6.4 and especially the 6.0 Power Strokes, they have some bad problems that can be costly to repair and do not bode well for longevity. The 6.7 as I am sure you are now WELL aware of are a total royal pain to work on.

The Power Stroke problems are bad enough that an entire industry has arisen to support this type of retro-fitting, below are a few links for your review.

http://www.destroked.com/mobile/prod_adapters.php

https://www.dieselconversion.com/parts/adapter-plate-kits-39.html

http://www.gosperformance.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_773

You might want to contact the above to find out if they can provide you with an adapter plate for your Ford 6.7.

Ford make a fantastic truck but ever since they dropped the 7.3 powerstroke, their truck engines suck in my opinion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like better Ram and initially I was looking for Ram 5500. I was told that frame on Ford is stronger and I like to haul sometimes 96 hives very heavy in one trip. I know a beekeeper that has 2012 Ram and he changed 3 time the transmission. I believe the engine is too powerful compared with transmission on his truck, especially when entering the freeway loaded with hives and trailer behind the transmission fails.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
A 6.7 motor is a 6.7 motor ..It doesn’t matter whether it came from a f250 all the way to a f550 its the extra suspension components that make up the number on the truck. The diesel motor is still the same .. 2011 to current on the 6.7 motors they have made some modifications on the newer years .. Find a local diesel shop that specializes in powerstrokes.
I would not make the assumption that just because the engine is the same it is a drop in replacement. In the 90's both the jeep grand cherokees and the dodge trucks used the same 5.2 magnum engine, but you could not swap one with the other. In the dodges the starter was mounted on the left side and on the jeeps it was on the right side (or vice versa) even though they were the same block and most of the same components.

I would see what the ford/truck forums actually say. It may also be worth looking into getting the gears in the axle changed for more torque (and a lower speed) to reduce wear and tear on the engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would not make the assumption that just because the engine is the same it is a drop in replacement. In the 90's both the jeep grand cherokees and the dodge trucks used the same 5.2 magnum engine, but you could not swap one with the other. In the dodges the starter was mounted on the left side and on the jeeps it was on the right side (or vice versa) even though they were the same block and most of the same

I would see what the ford/truck forums actually say. It may also be worth looking into getting the gears in the axle changed for more torque (and a lower speed) to reduce wear and tear on the engine how much clearer y

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
What do they call that when you repeat the same situation and expect a different outcome????

CRAZY(that's a clue) Roland

·
Registered
86 Posts
In a lot of cases, the engine is more expensive than buying a running truck and pulling the engine. Of course, it takes time to pull the engine.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I think the 6.7 Ford engines require removing the cab to pull the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
90000 miles is low for a work truck, let alone a diesel. Are you sure the engine needs replacing? Remanufactured engines are available and should come with a warrantee and be competitive with used engines in price and better performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts