Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Banned
394 Posts
"A forklift does not overcome the other big backbreaker that beekeepers have"

Not the style of FL conventionaly used, no... tho' I reckon something in the style of the modern 4x4 knuckle boom loader could be put to work in cutting time and manpower. Needing two machines at a single site being the killer for a sole operator.

Having caught Ian's videos (some) he has won me, a pleasure to see a young fella at it ... and thinking outside the box, literally :)
I was particulary warmed to hear his strategy for wintering as not only is he using a single box - huge applause for brains there - but he is onto random assessment for critical mass, the exact same strategy I (and others) used in coming off the pollinating season to ready for whatever honey production was planned. And I drooled over his honey production line, the most efficient I have seen yet in YoTube bLogs.

The EzyLoader is more developed than the boom mounted winch I used (electric over hydralic) and way more user friendly (safer). I have one question, and that is how are the gripping/lifting tynes controlled in each configuration? I figured it was wireless - bluetooth even!!![laugh] - as there is no "second man" visible and the hands always are gripping the lifting frame, in either config.

All in all a site well worth a visit, I do not agree with the comments on Ian's presentation - it's honest(homegrown), not rambling as many are, and is internationally friendly. Good work, and I do recognise a clever man going places whilst also "getting a little dirt on the hands"... the heart of the fun of it all.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
I'm pretty convinced it's faster than a forklift.
I have both and would not say that the boom is faster by a long shot.
But, they both have their place for sure.
If you are comparing for sheer speed, the type of forklift would factor in as well.
I really like the aspect of having the EZY loader on the truck even when using the forklift.
If your forklift has a problem a long way from home, you can still quickly unload without the grueling prospect of hand-unloading or loading.
Unfortunately, our new truck does not have a loader installed. :(
Won't get rid of the old truck, ever!
But; Have Hot-Rod forklift, will travel! :)

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
"A forklift does not overcome the other big backbreaker that beekeepers have"

Not the style of FL conventionaly used, no... tho' I reckon something in the style of the modern 4x4 knuckle boom loader could be put to work in cutting time and manpower. Needing two machines at a single site being the killer for a sole operator.

Having caught Ian's videos (some) he has won me, a pleasure to see a young fella at it ... and thinking outside the box, literally :)
I was particulary warmed to hear his strategy for wintering as not only is he using a single box - huge applause for brains there - but he is onto random assessment for critical mass, the exact same strategy I (and others) used in coming off the pollinating season to ready for whatever honey production was planned. And I drooled over his honey production line, the most efficient I have seen yet in YoTube bLogs.

The EzyLoader is more developed than the boom mounted winch I used (electric over hydralic) and way more user friendly (safer). I have one question, and that is how are the gripping/lifting tynes controlled in each configuration? I figured it was wireless - bluetooth even!!![laugh] - as there is no "second man" visible and the hands always are gripping the lifting frame, in either config.

All in all a site well worth a visit, I do not agree with the comments on Ian's presentation - it's honest(homegrown), not rambling as many are, and is internationally friendly. Good work, and I do recognise a clever man going places whilst also "getting a little dirt on the hands"... the heart of the fun of it all.

Bill
Hey I like this guy!
Read that one twice ;)

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Ian the batteries in the sender unit for the wireless, what kind of life do you get out of them?

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Thanks, I better grab a spare or two.

I had thought the old system with that coil type wire may have been better in that at least it will never go flat. The new system is tidier though I guess.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I change the bearings in the elbow every year...not out of yearly maintenance ( as maybe I should ) but after the bearings completely fall apart.
Keep an eye on yours

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Oh that's handy to know. They feel so good they felt kind of permanent. Do they give any warning of imminent breakdown?

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
No and it will be gone without really knowing as such.
Except your hired guy starts complaining about the arm not cooperating as freely.
I find, as soon as the arm starts to sag to the point where it noticeably doesn’t pull down as it’s clamped for transport and doesn’t release up top from the bracket freely, automatically change those 2 bearings. Standard stock.
Don’t try to attempt the big one...so they advise lol

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I don't have a hired guy so it will be me! Next time you do it Ian how about post a few pics of the procedure?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, after listening to Ian at the BC Honey Producers convention last week, and considering all the research we did over the last year or more, we went ahead and have committed to a new Ezyloader that Herb has sitting in Winnipeg.
Now, the next question is whether we should trade in the Dodge 3500 flat deck with its tailgate lift (it's a 12-foot deck) for a larger model. If we don't we'll have to remove the tailgate for weight reasons. Any suggestions out there about what would be a good choice for replacement?
Our yards are for the most part behind bear fencing and are laid out to host about 20-24 hives. They don't really lend themselves to a truck-trailer configuration. Suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, after listening to Ian at the BC Honey Producers convention last week, and considering all the research we did over the last year or more, we went ahead and have committed to a new Ezyloader that Herb has sitting in Winnipeg.
Now, the next question is whether we should trade in the Dodge 3500 flat deck with its tailgate lift (it's a 12-foot deck) for a larger model. If we don't we'll have to remove the tailgate for weight reasons. Any suggestions out there about what would be a good choice for replacement?
Our yards are for the most part behind bear fencing and are laid out to host about 20-24 hives. They don't really lend themselves to a truck-trailer configuration. Suggestions?

81 - 100 of 111 Posts